Before you buy the book, it’s a good idea to make sure that you have everything you need to get the most out of it.
- You’ll need Adobe Reader, or another PDF reader installed to open and read your e-book.
You can get Adobe Reader for free here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- You’ll need enough space on your computer to download the book and sample images. The e-book PDF file is approximately 15 Megabytes. The uncompressed sample images that you’ll download from a Members Only Page are about 16MB in total.
- Please make sure you already have the latest stable version of GIMP installed on your computer before you purchase the book.
If you don’t have GIMP installed yet, check out this page for instructions on how to do it.
- If you’re checking out with your PayPal account, you must have access to the email address that PayPal has on record, because that is were your book download link will be sent. If you’ve already bought the book, and you can’t access that email address, let me know using the contact page above. I’ll re-email your link to an address that you can access.
Downloading Your Book
- A link to download your copy of How to GIMP will be sent to the email address PayPal has on file. This will either be your PayPal log in email address if you used your PayPal account, or the email address you entered when you payed with a credit card.
- This email should be sent within a few minutes of your purchase. It will be sent from “How to GIMP”. If you don’t see this email within 5 or 10 minutes of purchase, please check your Spam folder. If you still don’t see it, I can re-send the link. Use the contact tab above to let me know you need another link.
- All you have to do to download the book is click the link in that email. Your download should start automatically. Where your e-book ends up once you download it depends on your computer and its settings:
On Macs and Windows 7 computers, downloads may go to a folder called “Downloads”. If you’re at all in doubt, you can usually use your operating system’s search function to look for the file. There are more instructions for finding your book once it’s downloaded on this page.
- To open the book, double click the book file. Your default PDF reader should launch, opening the book at the same time.
- Another way to open the book is to launch your preferred PDF reading program (like Adobe Reader) and go to File > Open. When the Open File window pops up, you can navigate to the location of the e-book on your hard drive and click Open.
If something goes wrong with your download, you might find the following tips helpful.
I didn’t get my book download link.
- Your download link was sent to the email address PayPal has on record. Please make sure you’re checking the correct email address. (I know it sounds silly, but I’ve made this mistake a few times myself!)
- If you don’t see an email from How-to-GIMP in your inbox, please check your spam folder.
- If you still don’t see it, the internet must have eaten your email. In that case, please let me know what’s going on with the contact tab above and I’ll re-send your download link.
- If you don’t have access to the email account that PayPal has on record, please let me know using the contact tab above, and I’ll send your link to an email address that you have access to.
Help! My download link isn’t working!
- Please see this page for detailed help on downloading your book: Ebook Download Help
My Download starts, but stops half way.
- This could be caused by lots of things. You may not have enough room on your hard drive for the book, or your internet connection may be cutting out half way through the download. Your email service or computer may have a setting that prevents downloads that are bigger than a certain size. Please check to make sure you have enough room on your computer for a 15MB PFD file, and a collection of photos that are 16MB in total. Also, make sure that you have a reliable internet connection, and that you are able to download 16MB files. For more help with download problems, please see this page.
I don’t have GIMP, where do I get it/how do I install it?
- Please see this page on downloading and installing GIMP:
I can’t get GIMP to work on my computer!
- I don’t offer official GIMP installation support, since everyone has a different computer, operating system, and configuration, and since there are so many different versions of GIMP. I can say that the download and installation process should be very straight forward, as long as you meet the minimum requirements to run GIMP, and you’re using the correct version of GIMP for your operating system.
- If you can’t get GIMP going on your computer, and you’ve already purchased the book, please let me know using the contact tab above, and I’ll issue you a full refund.